Hey y’all! Today I thought I would share on the blog one of my favorite healthy dishes, that is both gluten free and delicious! I love this meal because you replace pasta with spiralized zucchini, giving you more fiber and nutrients in your dish. It is low carb, high protein, and paleo if you leave the cheese off the top!
Let me start off my by saying that I am NOT traditionally a zucchini fan. It’s the one vegetable I have yet to learn to love. However, in this dish, I can’t even tell I’m eating it! I think the secret is all in the sauce 😉
My theory is that if your sauce is tasty enough, then you can’t even tell the difference between regular whole wheat pasta and zoodles!
I enjoy preparing this meal for friends who eat a gluten free diet, because they feel they are eating something that is very hearty & filling and also considered “comfort food” (esp. if you add shaved parmesan on top!!) This dish can easily also be made dairy free as well, just leave out the shaved parm!
So, to spiralize your fresh squash, you are going to need a spiralizer. My personal favorite is linked at the bottom of this recipe. I love it because it is easy to use, easy to clean, and comes with like seven different attachments for you to use and create whatever stringy vegetable your heart desires (or that your children will actually try!)
**Side note – look up sweet potato noodles! 😉
Here is a list of Ingredients, this dish will make enough for 4 servings.
- 2 tbsp Organic Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 lb Organic Extra Lean Ground Turkey
- 3/4 Medium white onion — finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks – finely diced
- 1 Carrot – Peeled & finely diced
- Salt – I like to use Pink Himalayan
- Freshly Ground Cracked Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 tbsp garlic powder
- 28 oz. Can of Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 14.5 ounce Can Diced Tomatoes
- 3 tbsp Italian Seasonings *or if you don’t have it on hand, use regular Oregano
- 2 tbsp chopped Fresh Basil *optional but recommended*
- 6 Zucchini Squash
- 2 Cloves diced Fresh Garlic *optional*
- 2 tbsp of Shaved Parmesan for garnish
- In a Skillet, heat olive oil on stove top, over medium-high heat.
- Add ground turkey, onion, and celery. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes.
- Sauté the turkey mixture (breaking up the turkey into small pieces) until the turkey is cooked through, and no longer pink. This usually will take about 10 minutes.
- *Optional* Add diced fresh garlic and sauté for 1 minute or so.
- Add in the can of crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, and oregano.
- Bring to a boil and then quickly lower the heat to medium-low and let simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add basil and stir to combine everything really well. Taste sauce, and add more salt + pepper if needed.
- While you are cooking the sauce, spiralize your zucchini noodles using a spiralizer.
- After sauce finishes cooking, add the zucchini noodles, stir to combine, and only cook them for about 2-3 minutes. If you cook them longer than that, the zoodles will get soggy. Stir occasionally for even cooking.
- Plate this healthy delicious-ness and top with shaved parmesan & more fresh basil for an even deeper flavor! Enjoy!
I hope you give this dish a try! Enjoy!